The works for the concert will be drawn from a Europe-wide call for scores. This is a fantastic opportunity to hear your work performed by one of the world’s leading choirs, and the concert will be recorded for broadcast on BBC Radio 3.
In 2016 BASCA and BBC Radio 3 presented a conference on Diversity in Composing and one theme which emerged was the low visibility of BAME composers and the need for more role models. We hope that presenting this concert will provide visibility to these composers and help to inspire a younger generation of composers from all backgrounds.
Guidelines for the call:
- This call is open to composers resident in Europe who identify as belonging to an ethnic minority. Composers in the UK must be members of BASCA and should follow the guidelines for the call on the BASCA website.
- Works selected for this call will be presented at a concert given by the BBC Singers conducted by James Morgan on Friday 6 October 2017 which will be recorded for broadcast on BBC Radio 3.
- Pieces should be for unaccompanied choir, and may be for any combination of SATB (including men-only and women-only pieces). The BBC Singers' usual 18 voice division is 220.127.116.11.
- The maximum duration of works is 10 minutes.
- Pieces may use any text, but copyright texts must be cleared for setting; this is the responsibility of the composer.
- Use of a common European language is helpful.
- Please provide scores with a piano reduction.
- The score should contain a separate page containing the text.
- If the work is unpublished, the composer must give permission for the BBC Singers to make copies for performance use. If the work is published, it is the responsibility of the composer organisation within the composer’s country to cover costs associated with hire or purchase of scores for performance.
- As with all performances of contemporary music, performance royalties for the concert and subsequent broadcast will be collected via PRS for music and paid via the composer’s collection society.
- We would like composers to attend the concert if possible but BASCA cannot provide travel expenses; composers should approach either their composer organisation or other sources of funding for expenses to travel to the UK to attend the concert.
- Applications will be made online. Click here to apply for the BASCA BBC Singers Concert.
- The deadline for submitting works to this call is 23:59 on Sunday 16 July 2017.
- If you have any questions regarding this call please email Anna Reich firstname.lastname@example.org